Muncy too much for Warrior Run - 2008 NTL and District 4 News -

Muncy too much for Warrior Run.

By: Troy Sellers | Williamsport Sun-Gazette | October 4, 2008


TURBOTVILLE - With just under 7 minutes to play Friday night, the lights went out at Warrior Run's Defender Stadium. Muncy had long before that turned out the lights on the Defenders, rolling to a 42-13 victory.

Five different players scored first-half touchdowns for the Indians, who took advantage of Warrior Run turnovers and penalties to build a 42-7 halftime lead and ruin the Defenders' homecoming celebration.

The effort led Muncy head coach Scott McLean to call it one of his team's better halves of the year.

"It was right there with the first half at Montgomery," McLean said, referring to a 39-0 win in the third week. "We did a lot of things, a lot of different looks, our kids just performed very well."

Muncy (3-3) opened an 8-0 lead on its first possession of the game after Brandon Cotner recovered a fumble on the Warrior Run 32-yard line. It took the Indians just six plays to score as Cody Whitteker ran it in from the two-yard line.

Later in the quarter, the Indians took advantage of a shanked punt deep in Defenders' territory that gave them a first down at the Warrior Run five-yard line. Frank Smith, who ran for the two-point conversion on the opening score, hauled in a Dan Murphy pass for the touchdown with a one-handed catch.

Trailing 15-0, Warrior Run looked to get back in the game with a little trickery. The Defenders tried a lateral to John Badman, who then passed to Ty Fry to the Muncy two-yard line. But the play was nullified by another one of Warrior Run's penalties.

"We punch that in, it might have been a totally different ballgame," said Warrior Run head coach Chris Eiswerth. "We shot ourselves in the foot time after time."

Instead of scoring to get back in the game, Warrior Run (1-5) turned it over again. This time, a Ryan Hembury interception led to another Smith touchdown, this one a three yard run.

It was the first of three picks by the sophomore defensive back.

"Ryan's a good kid," McLean said. "Just getting him a little more confident. He's a tough d-back. Three interceptions, one returned for a touchdown. That's a great night."

Hembury's touchdown return came with under 3:00 left in the half and pushed Muncy's lead to 42-0.

Sandwiched between Smith's second score and the Hembury touchdown return were two other Murphy touchdown tosses. The senior threw for 190 yards by hitting 15 of his 23 throws.

"I thought Danny had a very good game mentally," McLean said.

He ended up making completions to six different receivers.

"One of the things Steve Shoup said to me on the sideline is, 'You know, coach, we get five different guys catching balls, that means a lot.' And that's true," McLean said. "We've got to spread it out and that's what we try to do offensively."

Shoup was on the receiving end of six of such passes for 46 yards.

Warrior Run's bright spots started to show late in the first half, as Steve Martin began ripping off huge chunks of yardage. The senior ended up with a game-high 107 yards rushing on just nine carries.

"Steve, he's healthy again. He worked real hard, had a great week," said Eiswerth, who continues to see growth during a trying streak. "I'm not going to take anything away from Muncy. They have a very good team and played very hard."