Muncy downs Wyalusing in District Four semis - 2016 NTL and District 4 News -

Muncy downs Wyalusing in District Four semis.

By: Nate Brown | Towanda Daily Review | November 5, 2016


The Muncy Indians held the Wyalusing Rams to just two offensive possessions in the second half of the District Four Class A semi-final game on their way to a 27-18 victory.

The Rams, the hosts, were the two seed as the visiting Indians were the third seed.

The Indians relied heavily on sophomore quarterback, Coleman Good who ran for 141 yards on 23 carries and added 71 yards and a touchdown through the air.

Coming into the matchup, Wyalusing head coach, Frank Kinney, did not expect Good to run as much as he did.

"They did not show much of that, they showed a lot of an I-backfield formations with blast plays," stated Kinney. "They must have saw us on scout tapes ... to scamper to the edge."

Michael Kustanbauter of the Indians carried the ball 14 times for 53 yards and three touchdowns against the Rams on Friday night. Adam Dietrick recorded the single touchdown through the air for the Indians.

The Rams were led by running back Derrick Clark who recorded 19 carries, totaling 69 yards.

Quarterback Calvin Burke went 6-for-10 throwing the ball for 122 yards, including a 92-yard touchdown to Derek Frederick for the Rams.

The game was a tale of two halves, as the Rams offense was clicking in the first half.

The Rams struck first on their first drive of the game. After forcing Muncy to a three-and-out on the opening drive of the football game, it took the Rams just five plays to score their first points.

Standing on their own 37-yard line, Ryan Kipp took the ball from Burke on a sweep. Kipp turned upfield, through the middle of the defense as he eluded multiple Indian defenders on his way to a 63-yard touchdown.

Kipp would then run in the two-point-conversion to put the Rams up 8-0 with 8:53 remaining in the first quarter.

Again, the Rams defense came up big, forcing a second straight three-and-out of the Indians' offense.

The Rams drove their way to the 14-yard line of the Indians where their drive would stall. Kipp would come in to successfully connect on a 32-yard field goal to extend Wyalusing's lead to 11-0.

At the end of the fourth quarter, it seemed that the Rams were in the driver's seat, leading 11-0.

However, on Muncy's first drive of the second quarter, they strung together an 11-play drive that resulted in a 1-yard touchdown run from Kustanbauter. Christopher Titman would connect on the point after attempt as the Indians found themselves back in the ball game, trailing 11-7.

The Indians would then force the Rams to their first three-and-out of the football game. It then took them just four plays to find themselves in the lead.

Good would fire a pass over the middle of the field, finding the hands of Dietrick who out jumped a Ram defender, hauling in a 32-yard touchdown. Again, the point after would be converted and the Indians took the lead at 14-11.

The Rams would be quick to respond as it took them three plays to regain the lead. After beginning at their own 16-yard line, Burke was sacked at the 5-yard line. After a 1-yard run, the Rams were facing a 3-18, from their own 6-yard line. Burke would then connect with Frederick over the middle, who outran a host of Indian defenders on his way to a 92-yard touchdown. The point after was converted by Kipp and the Rams headed into halftime leading, 18-14.

The second half of the game was all Muncy.

On the kick-off following halftime, the Indians recovered an onside kick. They would capitalize on the onside kick and use the drive to take the lead. The 70-yard drive was capped off by Kustanbauter's second touchdown of the game. After a converted point after, the Indians were back in the lead at 21-18.

The onside kick is what Kinney stated turned the game into Muncy's favor.

"The onside kick right off the bat got us and they scored on it," added Kinney. "We couldn't stop them."

Both teams would then exchange possessions, forcing each other to punt to conclude the third quarter.

Muncy would then string together a 17-play, 88-yard drive that resulted in a third rushing touchdown by Kustanbauter, giving the Indians a 27-18 lead.

Burke and the Rams would then attempt to get back into the game. After two lengthy passing plays, Burke attempted a pass that would be intercepted by Good of the Indians.

Muncy would convert a few first downs to hold onto the ball and win the game with a final score of 27-18.

The Indians are set to travel to Sayre next Friday evening to take on the top seeded Redskins in the District Four Class A Championship game.